Book an appointment online HERE
M.Ed., B.Ed., B.F.A.
“The Kitchen House” by Kathleen Grissom
“If what you are doing isn’t working, do something different.” George Enns
What I like most about my job:
Working together to solve a problem and learning from the people I meet.
Since 1995 I have been supporting adults, families, teens and children in a school division and in private practice. I believe in the power of searching for strengths and resiliency to build hope. My counselling style incorporates a variety of approaches such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance & Commitment Therapy and Solution Focused. I also believe in the power of humour. People describe me as gentle, empathetic, yet respectfully direct and proactive. What I know to be true is that life presents challenges and through these times we have a choice to grow and learn, for ourselves and for others.
When I work with kids, I prefer to work hand in hand with parents as I believe therapy is a team effort; however, I may ask to see parents separately to discuss the best possible parental approaches. I do not get involved in court or custody matters and will avoid taking on families that will use therapy as a means of gathering evidence for court. I require that both parents know about and consent to therapy.
Areas of Interest:
– Self-awareness and empowerment
– Life balance and change
– Healthy relationships
– Grief and loss – including pet loss
– Living with ADHD / ADD – Executive Functioning Skills
– Self-management/Self-regulation – anger, anxiety, depression, stress
– Understanding and living with behaviourally challenged kids
Training Updates & Certificates:
– Train the Trainer – Mental Health Literacy – Dr. Stan Kucher – 2018
– ASIST – Applied suicide intervention skills training – 2018
– Acceptance and Commitment Therapy – Beginners – Dr. Russ Harris – 2018
– Evidence Based Interventions for Traumatized Children & Adolescents – Liana Lowenstein – 2017
– Working with Hard to Engage Children & Adolescents – Liana Lowenstein – 2017
– ADHD: Theory & Practice: Dr. William Pelham & CADDRA – 2017
– CBT 2 Day Boot Camp: Practical Strategies – Dr. Jeff Riggenbach – 2016
– Gottman Method Couples Therapy Level 1: Bridging the Couple Chasm – Wilk & Stoyanowski – 2016
– Treating Adolescent Attachment – Trauma: The Challenge of Connection — Dr. Martha B. Straus – 2016
– Treating Eating Disorders from a Systemic Perspective – Will Corrigan – 2016
– Assessing and Treating Sexual Addictions – Dr. Doug Weiss – 2015
– Violence Threat Risk Assessment (VTRA) – Systems Approach – Kevin Cameron – 2015
– Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents – Lynn Lyons – 2015
– Level 2 VTRA – Violence Threat Risk Assessment – 2014
– Advanced Applications in Cognitive Therapy – David Burns – 2014
– Smart but Scattered: Strengthening Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents – Peg Dawson – 2014
– Advanced Training: Solving Problems Collaboratively – Dr. Ross Greene – 2013
– Other training and certification available on request.
– Private Practice at Rational Emotive Therapy Clinic – 1995 – 1998
– School Counselling Psychologist since 1998
– Private Practice at PPC – Children, Teens, Adults, Families – since 2012
– Living with ADHD/ADD
– Understanding and living with grief and loss